Chicken Skillet Dinner! This is a great recipe, suitable for a family meal or a dinner party.Yummy!
Chicken Skillet Dinner! This is like sunshine on a plate! For this recipe, I’ve used all fresh ingredients and that truly makes a huge difference to the colors and flavors on the dish. The flavors are really quite something. This is a dinner which is suitable all year round, and flexible so you could use whatever vegetables are in season and at their best. The combined flavors of the vegetables with the chicken, wine and garlic really are quite something!
You can make this as a family dinner, or indeed for a dinner party. Which ever you choose, it will be straightforward and pretty enough to impress your friends too!
Here, I’ve chosen to use chicken thighs. That cut of chicken is my favorite because it stays moist and has a sweetness to the meat, however, I’ve used drumsticks and chicken breast before, and it was also very delicious! The only thing you need to be mindful of is depending on what size and cut of chicken you use, the cook time will vary a little as you know.
The part which takes a little time is preparing the vegetables. There’s a bit of chopping and slicing, but nothing complicated.
So I do hope you will enjoy our chicken skillet dinner as much as we do.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4 persons
4 – 6 Chicken Thighs. (or any cut of chicken you prefer)
1 Red Onion
2 Sticks Celery
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
A Handful of mushrooms
1/2 Zucchini, sliced
A Handful of fresh, flat leaf parsley
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Chicken Boullion Cube with 2 Tablespoons boiling water to dissolve
1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
1/2 Cup White Wine of your choice
Salt and pepper
1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons of Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
1. Prepare the vegetables by cutting the peppers into bite sized pieces, slicing the mushrooms, peel and cut the carrots in to matchstick size, mince the garlic, chop parsley, slice onion, and finely chop the celery sticks. Slice the zucchini. Place everything on a plate in separate piles.
2. Add the olive oil to the pan and heat. Place the chicken thighs in the pan, (medium heat) season the chicken in the pan with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. When golden, use a slotted spoon and remove the chicken and set aside.
3. Add the mushrooms to the same pan (it will have the oil and juices from the chicken). Saute until browned. Then add the celery and onion, stir and cook until softened. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Once softened, add all the other vegetable ingredients and 1/4 of the chopped parsley, stir so everything is nicely mixed. Return the chicken to the pan.
4. Turn the heat up to high, add the tomato paste and pour in the white wine. Allow to cook on high heat for 4 – 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to low. Add the dissolved bouillon and place a lid on the pan and allow to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes. (Cook time will vary depending on the size of your chicken pieces).
5. Five Minutes before the end of cook time, add the creme fraiche and remaining parsley, stir gently and serve.
If you are cooking for more people, you can brown the chicken in batches, saute the other ingredients with the white wine etc and then transfer everything to an oven proof dish / baking pan. Cover with foil and cook at 350 F / 180 C for 30 – 40 minutes. Like above, 5 minutes before the end, add the creme fraiche and parsley.
I often find it is easier to use a wok if you do not have a large skillet / fry pan. It stops the food spilling over when you are sautéing! And there you have our Chicken Skillet Dinner. Please enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and see our other delicious goodies!