Nanny Pat's Special Apple Pie! Let me introduce to you Nanny Pat! This apple pie is an old family recipe and always very popular, especially for those who prefer a crustless pie! This is a great pie to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas time. It's always so popular.
Nanny's got a great story about her apple pie so take it away Nanny Pat!
"I have been making this pie forever it seems. We lived in a place, when we were first married that had Apple Orchards everywhere, and was easy to get great apples at their farmstands, making applesauce, cakes, pies, muffins, etc., was great with such fresh fruit.
My crazy family doesn't like crusts on the bottom of pies, even when it is homemade, which it almost always is, so there is never anything left on their plates with this dessert.
When we lived on a Lake, my BF for 65 yrs, myself and our daughter, rode on horseback to an abandoned farm that had very old apple trees, but the fruit was so wonderful, so the 3 of us packed our backpacks and filled them to overflowing with apples, and then we finished our ride, which was hard on the apples, being tossed about on our backs.
When we got home, we dumped them out, and yes, you can imagine, we had quite bruised apples. So, I got out the pie plates and we made 6-8 of these pies. Thank goodness I had 2 ovens and, with the 3 of us working, we had a jolly good time. With the other apples we had a pot of applesauce cooking. I thought I would never want to see an apple again.
My BF was going to a function the next day, and she was asked to bring dessert, so I copied the recipes off, and with the 3 pies, there was none left, but everyone wanted the recipe. The ingredients are always on hand, even now, so it makes for a real easy dessert so please enjoy my 'Nanny Pat's Special Apple Pie'"
Recipe by Pat Milton
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
30 - 40 minutes
4 - 6 Persons
9 inch pie plate (oven proof)
10 small, 8 medium, or 6 huge Apples
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cups or 125 g All Purpose / Plain flour
6 oz or 170 g butter
1 cup or 200 g regular sugar
½ cup or 55 g chopped nuts - walnuts or pecans
1. Set oven to 350 F, Gas 4, 180 C
2. Grease your pie dish.
3. Peel and slice the apples (enough to fill plate ¾ full).
4. Mix 1 Tbsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the apples.
5. In a saucepan, melt the butter then take off heat.
6. Combine flour, salt and Sugar in a bowl, then add 1 egg, and the melted butter.
7. Add chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans).
8. Spread batter evenly over the apples.
9. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden. Set on a rack (if you can, as I usually have someone cutting into it while piping hot, and not set up.
My Dad always had a wedge of cheddar cheese with it. Hubby likes it hot with vanilla Ice cream, and some like it with whipped cream, or plain.
You should smell the kitchen...Yum...Yum... So easy, and is a Keeper, now for over 51 years. Hope you will try my pie and enjoy. My hubby loves nuts in everything.. but some may not so adapt it...
Bon Appetit....Love, Nanny
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of Nanny's Special Apple Pie recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
- 8 - 10 Apples
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cups or 125 g All Purpose / Plain flour
- 1 ½ sticks or 6 oz stick or 170 g butter
- 1 cup or 200 g regular sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup or 55 g chopped nuts - walnuts or pecans
- Set oven to 350 F, Gas 4, 180 C. Grease your pie dish.
- Peel and slice the apples (enough to fill plate ¾ full). Mix 1 Tbsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl, and sprinkle over the apples...
- In a saucepan, melt the butter then take off heat. Mix flour, salt and Sugar in a bowl, then add 1 egg, and the melted butter.
- Add chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans).Spread batter evenly over the apples.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden. Set on a rack (if you can, as I usually have someone cutting into it while piping hot, and not set up.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 458mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 7gSugar: 51gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate