Perfect Carrot Cake, a wonderfully moist spiced cake with a delicious orange-flavored frosting. Make a cake or cupcakes. You choose! This Carrot Cake is perfect in every way. You only have to look at the ingredients to see that it will be a moist, full-flavored cake, and have that wonderful aroma that a good carrot cake has from those lovely spices.
Ashleigh has also used this recipe many times to make cupcakes.
The frosting used takes this cake to the next level, with the use of fresh orange zest, what more could you ask for!
Ashleigh is a baker and is well on her way to making a successful career from baking her wonderful cakes, and Lovefoodies are very proud to be able to showcase some of Ashleigh's creations.
30 - 45 minutes
You will need
3 round 8 inch / 20 cm cake pans
The Cake Batter
450 g or 2 & ⅔ cups Peeled & finely grated carrots
2 Tbsp Peeled & grated root ginger
80 ml or 1//3 cup Buttermilk
3 Large Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
350 ml or 1 & ½ cups vegetable Oil
420 g or 2 cups Caster Sugar (fine sugar/ cake sugar)
80 g Pecans, roasted & chopped.
500 g or 4 cups All-Purpose Plain Flour
2 Tsp baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
100 g or ½ cup unsalted butter
600 g or 5 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon Finely grated orange zest
250 g or 8 oz packet full fat cream cheese
Check out our handy Oven Temperature Conversion Guide!
1. Line 3 x 8 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 170 C / 325 F / Gas 3
2. Mix together the first 7 ingredients until well combined.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices
4. Add to the carrot mixture ⅓ at a time. When combined, divide the mixture equally into the 3 cake pans.
5. Bake in the oven until spongy to touch and clean toothpick test.
6. It should take around 45 minutes, but keep checking after it has been cooking for 30 minutes. All ovens are different. If making cupcakes, bake for approx 20 minutes.
Make the frosting
1. Mix together the butter & powdered sugar until combined.
2. Add the orange zest & cream cheese and mix until light and fluffy.
Build the cake
When the cake has cooled completely, sandwich together the cakes with layers of frosting between and then completely cover the outside of the cake, and ENJOY!
Perfect Carrot Cake
Perfect Carrot Cake, a wonderfully moist spiced cake with a delicious orange-flavored frosting. Make a cake or cupcakes. You choose! Easy recipe
The Cake Batter
- 450 g or 2 & ⅔ cups Peeled & finely grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp Peeled & grated root ginger
- 80 ml or 1//3 cup Buttermilk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 350 ml or 1 & ½ cups vegetable Oil
- 420 g or 2 cups Caster Sugar, fine sugar/ cake sugar
- 80 g Pecans, roasted & chopped.
- 500 g or 4 cups All Purpose Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 100 g or ½ cup unsalted butter
- 600 g or 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Finely grated orange zest
- 250 g or 8 oz packet full fat cream cheese
- Line 3 x 8 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 170 C / 325 F / Gas 3
- Mix together the first 7 ingredients until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices
- Add to the carrot mixture ⅓ at a time. When combined, divide the mixture equally into the 3 cake pans
- Bake in the oven until spongy to touch and clean toothpick test.
- It should take around 45 minutes, but keep checking after it has been cooking for 30 minutes. All ovens are different. If making cupcakes, bake for approx 20 minutes.
- Mix together the butter & powdered sugar until combined.
- Add the orange zest & cream cheese and mix until light and fluffy.
Build the cake.
- When the cake has cooled completely, sandwich together the cakes with layers of frosting between and then completely cover the outside of the cake, and ENJOY!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 774Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 119gFiber: 2gSugar: 83gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate
Loaf Cake Recipes
Here's a delicious selection of pound or loaf cake recipes for you to enjoy
Tiramisu Pound Cake, a soft and delicious pound cake with all the flavors of a Tiramisu! It's even got a mascarpone frosting. This will go fast so be sure to make two!
Peach Pound Cake with Raspberry Swirl. A delicious recipe bursting with sweet peaches and a tangy raspberry swirl running through. Soft, moist and perfect with a morning coffee or to take to friends! If you are a fan of pound cakes and peaches, then this one is for you.
How To Make A Basic Chocolate Loaf Cake
A simple, easy chocolate loaf cake recipe is moist, rich and chocolatey. Perfect for new cooks and is a go to basic recipe
Caribbean Rum Cake, an easy delicious recipe! The cake is soft and moist, packed with rum infused raisins and makes for a great Christmas time cake.
Strawberry Pound Cake. A delicious recipe bursting with fresh strawberries. Soft, moist and perfect with a morning coffee or to take to friends!
Easy Lemon French Yogurt Cake
Easy Lemon French Yogurt Cake. Delicious tangy lemon, soft and moist, incredibly easy made from scratch cake recipe, great as a tea time snack
Coffee Pecan Pound Cake is a lovely tasting, moist cake with a perfect combination of coffee flavor and texture from the pecans.
Coffee Walnut Sandwich Cake.
The best coffee and walnut cake, a classic British afternoon tea cake, layers of soft and fluffy coffee cake with chopped walnuts throughout, adds a great flavor and texture, frosted with coffee cream cheese frosting. Instructions to make using round or loaf pans
Easy Strawberry French Yogurt Cake
Easy Strawberry French Yogurt Cake.
Delicious juicy strawberries, soft and moist, incredibly easy made from scratch cake recipe, great as a tea time snack
Moist Vanilla Pound, Loaf Cake is such a wonderful tasting cake, soft, and delicious!
Easy Blueberry and Lemon Crumble Cake
Easy Blueberry and Lemon Crumble Cake.
Deliciously soft & moist cake packed with blueberries and a hint of lemon. Topped with a crumble topping. Easiest simple cake recipe ever!
Raspberry Pound Cake
Easy Raspberry Pound Cake. A delicious classic pound cake recipe bursting with fresh raspberries. Soft, moist and tangy sweet. Topped with a simple chocolate topping. Easy to follow instructions
Coconut and Lime Pound Cake, a deliciously soft coconut cake with a splash of tangy lime.
Moist Coconut PoundCake Recipe. Light, soft, and oh sooooo delicious!
Blueberry Coconut Pound Cake, a deliciously soft coconut cake with a sprinkling of juicy blueberries.
Moist Lemon or Orange Pound Loaf, a wonderful soft and delicious cake using freshly squeezed juice and zest. Bake in a loaf or bundt pan. You choose!
Easy Cranberry and White Chocolate Pound Cake. This is a delicious soft and moist pound cake with a wonderful white chocolate flavor and added lovely cranberries. Freezer friendly and easy to make. Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Moist Pecan Almond Loaf Cake. The flavor combo is just divine!
Easy Cinnamon Swirl Loaf. A moist, soft, and delicious tasting loaf cake, perfect with a morning coffee! This is a wonderful no yeast, quick bread recipe, full of flavor, soft and fluffy, and really easy to make too.
Moist Caramel and Apple Loaf .... ABSOLUTELY Delicious!
Easy Cranberry and Orange Carrot Cake! A delicious cake made from scratch with a simple orange glaze. Fluffy, soft and bursting with the flavors! Perfect breakfast, brunch or to have with a coffee!
Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake, a delicious soft and moist loaf bursting with juicy blueberries! Perfect with a cup of tea
Moist Coffee Loaf Cake! This is an absolutely delicious soft, moist cake, easy to make and goes perfect with a lovely cup of coffee too!
Banana and Walnut Loaf Cake. A delicious, very easy and moist cake, and smells so good when it's baking too!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Loaf.
This is truly a delightful cake. The flavors are gentle, the cake is soft and moist and of course, looks so pretty with the addition of poppy seeds sprinkled throughout the cake
Moist Chocolate Almond Pound Cake. Delicious, rich chocolate cake with added melted chocolate and ground almonds to take this cake to another level of deliciousness!
Spiced Pecan Carrot Cake! This has got to be the World's best carrot cake.
Fluffy, soft and bursting with the flavors of Fall! Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas holidays!
Dolly's Chocolate Chip Cake. Very easy recipe and a family favorite. Makes two loaves so perfect for gifts or freezing too.
No salt ? Add a 1/2 tsp of table salt. for that many ingredients.,
Hi Ingrid, yes, salt should be used in baking cakes, I often use it in my own cakes. There is already 1 teaspoon of salt listed in the ingredients for this size of cake. (It is just above the bicarbonate of soda listing). I hope this helps!