Perfect Carrot Cake, a wonderfully moist spiced cake with a delicious orange-flavored frosting. Make a cake or cupcakes. You choose! This Carrot Cake is perfect in every way. You only have to look at the ingredients to see that it will be a moist, full flavored cake, and have that wonderful aroma that a good carrot cake has from those lovely spices.
Ashleigh has also used this recipe many times to make cupcakes. The frosting used takes this cake to the next level, with the use of fresh orange zest, what more could you ask for! Ashleigh is a baker and is well on her way to making a successful career from baking her wonderful cakes, and Lovefoodies are very proud to be able to showcase some of Ashleigh's creations.
You will need
3 round 8 inch / 20 cm cake pans
THE CAKE BATTER
450 g or 2 & 2/3 cups Peeled & finely grated carrots 2 Tbsp Peeled & grated root ginger 80 ml or 1//3 cup Buttermilk 3 Large Eggs 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence 350 ml or 1 & 1/2 cups vegetable Oil 420 g or 2 cups Caster Sugar (fine sugar/ cake sugar) 80 g Pecans, roasted & chopped. 500 g or 4 cups All Purpose Plain Flour 2 Tsp baking Powder 1 Tsp Salt 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda 1 tsp Ground cinnamon 1 tsp Ground ginger
100 g or 1/2 cup unsalted butter 600 g or 5 cups powdered sugar 1 Tablespoon Finely grated orange zest 250 g or 8 oz packet full fat cream cheese
1. Line 3 x 8 inch round pans. Preheat oven to 170 C / 325 F / Gas 3 2. Mix together the first 7 ingredients until well combined.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices
4. Add to the carrot mixture 1/3 at a time. When combined, divide the mixture equally into the 3 cake pans.
5. Bake in the oven until spongy to touch and clean toothpick test.
6. It should take around 45 minutes, but keep checking after it has been cooking for 30 minutes. All ovens are different. If making cupcakes, bake for approx 20 minutes.
Make the frosting
1. Mix together the butter & powdered sugar until combined.
2. Add the orange zest & cream cheese and mix until light and fluffy.
Build the cake
When the cake has cooled completely, sandwich together the cakes with layers of frosting between and then completely cover the outside of the cake, and ENJOY!
Easy Cranberry and White Chocolate Pound Cake. This is a delicious soft and moist pound cake with a wonderful white chocolate flavor and added lovely cranberries. Freezer friendly and easy to make. Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas
Easy Cinnamon Swirl Loaf. A moist, soft, and delicious tasting loaf cake, perfect with a morning coffee! This is a wonderful no yeast, quick bread recipe, full of flavor, soft and fluffy, and really easy to make too.
Lemon and Poppy Seed Loaf. This is truly a delightful cake. The flavors are gentle, the cake is soft and moist and of course, looks so pretty with the addition of poppy seeds sprinkled throughout the cake