Dreamy Coconut and Pineapple Dessert! This is one BIG DELICIOUS DESSERT! That much I can promise!
Here I’ve come up with a wonderful combination of flavours and textures, and when you take a bite of this dessert… well… it really is very dreamy!
For the base, I have used lady fingers, soaked in pineapple juice. I’ve also give an option to add a splash of Malibu to the juice for those wanting to make an adult only dessert. Then, we have a wonderful creamy layer of homemade coconut pudding, then a layer of pineapple chunks, covered in one more layer of yummy coconut pudding and then topped off with a generous spread of freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of coconut. So, are you imagining eating this as I describe it to you? Gosh, it is so delicious, you really must try this!
When you take a bite, you get a beautiful sponge – like layer from the lady fingers, with a taste of the pineapple (and malibu) and combined with the creamy oh so creamy coconut pudding and fresh cream topping, and then there’s the texture and juiciness from the pineapple chunks and a slight chewy sensation from the sprinkle of coconut. My oh my! You just have to try it yourself then you will know exactly why I chose to call this a dreamy dessert!
This recipe makes for 6 servings. Of course if you wanted to make for a crowd, simply increase all the ingredients. You could make this for a birthday, pot lucks, parties, holidays, or to have simply as a week night family dessert. Whatever you decide, I am very sure you will enjoy it.
The recipe is very easy to make, and even making your own homemade coconut pudding is easy and quick. Once you have tried it homemade, I am sure you won’t be buying any packet mixes ever again!
So please do enjoy and be sure to let us know in the comments below if you made it for a party or a family dessert, and most importantly, if we got the thumbs up from your diners!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Serves: 6 slices
6 Lady fingers (savoiardi)
1/4 cup Pineapple Juice
1 Tablespoon Malibu (option for adult only dessert)
6 Pineapple Rings, cut into pieces
For the Coconut Pudding:
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 Cups Coconut Milk
2 Egg Yolks
For the Topping:
1 Cup Whipping Cream
1 Tablespoon Powdered Sugar
4 Tablespoons Shredded Coconut
You Will Need a suitable dish, mine measured 9 inches x 6 inches and 3 inches deep
1. Make the Coconut pudding as follows: In a saucepan, add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and coconut milk. Stir so there are no lumps and bring to a gentle boil, stirring all the time. As soon as it boils, remove from heat.
2. In a bowl, add the egg yolks and lightly beat. Then slowly pour in half of the milk mixture, stirring as you pour. Return the bowl mixture to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring all the time until it starts to boil. At this point, have a little taste to see if you have the amount of sweetness to your liking. If you need more, simply add a tablespoon of sugar at a time and taste as you go along. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool.
3. Add the pineapple juice (and malibu if using) to a shallow bowl and dip each lady’s finger in the juice on both sides then arrange in the dish.
4. Spread half of the coconut pudding over the lady’s fingers then arrange the pineapple pieces on top. Spread the remaining coconut pudding over the pineapples. Cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap and allow to chill completely for at least 4 hours. Overnight is even better.
5. Whip the cream and powdered sugar to stiff peaks then spread over the pudding mixture.
6. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on the top and refrigerate for 4 hours then serve.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!