Lemon Cheesecake Squares. A very easy, no bake recipe with a wonderful lemon flavor. Perfect for the holidays!
Lemon Cheesecake Squares! This is a lovely, simple no bake dessert and very easy to make. It takes minutes to put together, and the only hard part is being patient for it to chill for a while so it can set.
The sharpness of the lemons is nicely balanced with the creaminess of the cheesecake filling, and the base is as crispy and crunchy as a cookie!
With this recipe, please note that you can make this as sharp or sweet as you like, by adding more or less sugar and lemon juice. I have made mine a little on the sharp side, but not so sharp you will screw your eyes up from the sour ness!! The best advice I can give is to taste as you are making the filling and then you know exactly how much sugar you will need. Make it how you like!
You can make this ahead of time and keep in the freezer until you are ready to serve. It will only take 20 – 30 minutes to defrost the squares at room temperature.
These little lemon cheesecake squares are so light and refreshing. When I look and taste them, they remind me of Spring time and Easter!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 Hours refrigeration
Yield: 16 Squares
You will need: 8 inch Square pan.
1/2 cup or 100 g butter
1 1/3 cups or 190 g Digestive Biscuits (cookies, see below) or Honey Graham Crackers
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons
4 – 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 x 8 oz or 200 g Cream cheese, room temperature
1 & 3/4 cups or 400 ml double cream / Heavy cream
**For US friends, you can buy Digestive cookies from Meijer’s, Job Lots, Walmart, Dollar Tree, World Market, in the cookie or International section. Please do try to use digestive biscuits in your recipe as it will make a difference in the base. See the photo below so you know what to look for.
We’ve found a great square pan which will suit your baking needs below
1. Place all your digestives / Graham Crackers in a zippy bag, and using a rolling pin bash them until they become fine crumbs.
Line the baking tin with parchment paper so it comes up the sides as in the photo.
2. In a mixing bowl (large enough to hold the digestives) melt the butter for 30 seconds in the microwave. It should be liquid. If not, heat for a further 10 seconds, or until it has completely melted. Add the crumbed digestives to the butter and mix very well until it is all incorporated.
3. Lightly (vegetable) oil the base of your tin if using a large tin. Transfer the digestives mixture to the baking pan.
4. Use the bottom of a glass or other object and compress the digestives mixture as much as possible. The harder it is the less likely it will come apart when you take it out of the pan. Use the back of your hand and go along the edges pushing the mix down and compressing.
3. For the filling, whip cream until stiff, add cream cheese, zest and sugar and slowly add the lemon juice (I usually add 3/4 of the sugar quantity and the juice of 1 lemon first) whilst mixing slowly, taste and add more juice/sugar according to your individual tastes.
4. Transfer filling to the cake tin, spread evenly then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
TIP: If you want to prepare ahead, you can place this in the freezer for a couple of hours, then remove the cake from the tin by lifting it out holding the sides of the parchment paper. Take a sharp knife and cut into squares and put on a plate and return to the fridge until ready for serving. When you allow the cake to freeze for a while, it is a lot easier to cut nice sharp slices.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Here’s a few more of our delicious No Bake Cheesecakes for you to enjoy!
- 1 1/3 cups or 190 g of digestive biscuits or crushed Grahams Crackers.
- 1/2 cup or 100 g butter melted
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 - 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 oz x 8 or 200 g Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cups & 3/4 or 400 ml double cream / Heavy cream
- Line the baking tin with parchment paper so it comes up the sides as in the photo.
- Crush the digestive biscuits/crackers until fine crumbs. I put them in a ziplock bag and bash them with a rolling pin until fine, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Then add melted butter to the crushed biscuits and use a spoon to combine well. Flatten into the 8” lined tin, making sure you push down hard, especially around the sides and leave in the freezer whilst you make the filling
- For the filling, whip cream until stiff, add cream cheese, zest and sugar and slowly add the lemon juice (I usually add 3/4 of the sugar quantity and the juice of 1 lemon first) whilst mixing slowly, taste and add more juice/sugar according to your individual tastes.
- Transfer filling to the cake tin, spread evenly then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.