Easy Garlic Cabbage, A great tasting side dish to go with your dinner. Come and see what the secret ingredient is to get cabbage tasting out of this world!
Easy Garlic cabbage really is an easy and very quick recipe to prepare. It takes no time at all, and even cabbage haters will enjoy this!
Some 30 or so years ago, my friend showed me a recipe with Cabbage and Garlic. It was taught to her by her Polish Mother In Law, and ever since I was shown her recipe, I’ve been making it!
Over the years I’ve chopped and changed it to suit my changing tastes, but overall, the main ingredients are…yep..you’ve guessed it…garlic and cabbage!. Sometimes I’ll add some sliced mushrooms, or perhaps some chopped bacon, but so long as you stick to the garlic and cabbage ingredients, feel free to add anything else which you might like. if you wanted to add a little heat to it, some fresh chopped chili peppers would be good too!
I often make this easy garlic cabbage to go alongside a roast dinner, such as Roast Pork and Crackling or with our delicious Toad In The Hole recipe. I love the flavors in this and it’s very convenient if you needed to make ahead.
For example, if you’re planning a Turkey Thanksgiving dinner, you could make this the day before and refrigerate, and simply pop in the microwave the following day when you’re ready for serving. The quality is just as good reheated.
If you’re feeding a crowd, this is very budget friendly. As you know, cabbage is quite cheap, and you get a lot for your money. You could make up a large serving and pop in a server, for example, for a buffet or gathering and people can just help themselves. Serve alongside some Honey Glazed Ham, Roast chicken and so on.
So now I would like to show you my latest adaptation which I think is just wonderful!. It’s really tasty, easy to make and a real winner every time I make it for my family or friends. I hope you too will enjoy our easy garlic cabbage and feel free to add or swap any flavors to suit. Below is a photo of when I make it using sliced mushrooms too. Delicious!
For the full recipe to print out see our handy recipe card at the end of the post.
1. Shred the cabbage.
2. Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil and add the cabbage and garlic. Stir and toss until cooked to your preference. I like mine a little crunchy so it only takes 6 – 7 minutes to cook. (add the mushrooms & onions at this stage too if using)
3. When your cabbage is soft enough, add your favorite BBQ Sauce and mix until the sauce is combined and heated through.
Season with salt & pepper if necessary. – You may not need to if your BBQ Sauce is seasoned nicely.
TOP TIP! Don’t let your cabbage or garlic go brown or burn as this will give a bitter taste, if the pan is too hot, turn the heat down and add a splash of hot water!
Serve hot with anything you like! I have served this with a BBQ, some oven baked chicken, a roast dinner, the list is endless!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our Easy Garlic Cabbage recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Here are a few more delicious side dishes for you to enjoy!
- 1/2 a medium white cabbage
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 1 Onion sliced, optional
- A Handful of mushrooms Sliced, optional
- salt & pepper
- Shred the cabbage
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil and add the cabbage and garlic. Stir and toss until cooked to your preference. I like mine a little crunchy so it only takes 6 - 7 minutes to cook. (add the mushrooms & onions at this stage too if using)
- When your cabbage is soft enough, add your favourite BBQ Sauce and mix until the sauce is combined and heated through.
- Season with salt & pepper if necessary. - You may not need to if your BBQ Sauce is seasoned nicely.
- TOP TIP! Don't let your cabbage or garlic go brown or burn as this will give a bitter taste, if the pan is too hot, turn the heat down and add a splash of hot water!
- Serve hot with anything you like! I have served this with a BBQ, some oven baked chicken, a roast dinner, the list is endless!
**** If your BBQ Sauce is not sweet, add 2 teaspoons of honey at the same time you add the sauce. It's really delicious!