Mom’s Beef and Potato Pie. A wonderful family recipe, simple ingredients and oh so delicious. Uses hash browns too!
What a beautiful beef and potato pie!
This recipe is certainly an old family recipe which Betty makes for her family each year when the weather gets cooler. Betty says the best way to her hubby’s heart is through his tummy, and her Beef and Potato Pie always makes him happy!
It’s a very easy recipe, and here, Betty uses hash browns in the pie, as well as some other great ingredients.
It’s a very filling dish, however, if you have really hungry mouths to feed, you can also serve with some mashed potatoes and a big jug of gravy too!
So let’s get straight to the recipe and see how Betty makes her delicious Beef and Potato Pie. Please enjoy!
Recipe by Betty Bernard.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes (approx)
Yield: 6 – 8 Persons
Double pie crust for a 9 – 10″- inch pie dish ** see below to make your own pie crust
The Pie Filling:
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 cup of milk
3 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
dash of pepper
1 pkg (12 ounces) of loose pack hash -browned potatoes thawed.
2 slices of Kraft Sandwich Cheese (or you can use 1/4 cup grated cheese)
For the glaze:
1/2 Tablespoon melted butter
Please see the end of the recipe if you would like to make your own pie crust (you need to double the pastry recipe) and Beef and Onion Gravy.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F
2. Grease and line your pie dish with the bottom crust.
3. Combine meat, milk, soup mix, and pepper in a bowl, mix gently to combine, lightly pat into the pastry-lined plate.
4. Take one sheet of American cheese, cut it into strips and place on top of the meat, or if using grated cheese, sprinkle half over the meat. Then top with hash browns, then another slice of American cheese, or remaining grated cheese on top of potatoes.
5. Place the top crust on top of potatoes and cheese, seal and flute the edge. Make a few slits with a sharp knife in the pastry top to allow steam to escape when cooking.
4. Brush with melted butter lightly. Bake for 1 hour or until browned.
Mom's Chicken Pot Pie An old family recipe and certainly comforting!
Spinach and Feta Pie, delicious creamy feta cheese filling with a crisp pie crust
Homemade Mini Meat Pies have a delicious flaky pie crust, are simple and quick to make and great for lunch boxes, parties, picnics and snacks. freezer friendly too!
DELICIOUS Turkey Pot Pie, Look at that pie crust!
I would also make this using chicken and ham together (great combo!) Oh my
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies. Delicious little pies with crisp pastry. Freezer friendly and great for parties too!
Mini Pot Pies with lots of filling suggestions, such as chicken, beefburger, bacon and crab. There's also a homemade Bisquick Mix recipe! ...come and choose which pies you would like to make!
Left Over Roast Chicken Pot Pie, a great way to use up left over roast chicken and vegetables! Great for leftover turkey and ham too!
Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies with a to die for flaky buttery pie crust. Serve piping hot from the oven! So good!
Steak Bakes (like Savory hand pies!). Delicious mini puff pastry pies using leftover fillings from your pot roasts, casseroles and roast dinners! Really easy to make and great for lunches or as part of a dinner
- Double pie crust for a 9 - 10 inch pie dish
The Pie Filling:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- dash of pepper
- 12 ounces pkg of loose pack hash -browned potatoes thawed
- 2 slices of Kraft Sandwich Cheese, or you can use 1/4 cup grated cheese
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease and line your pie dish with the bottom crust.
- Combine meat, milk, soup mix and pepper in a bowl, mix gently to combine, lightly pat into the pastry lined plate.
- Take one sheet of American cheese, cut it into strips and place on top of the meat, or if using grated cheese, sprinkle half over the meat. Then top with hash browns, then another slice of American cheese, or remaining grated cheese on top of potatoes.
- Place the top crust on top of potatoes and cheese, seal and flute the edge. Make a few slits with a sharp knife in the pastry top to allow steam to escape when cooking.
- Brush with melted butter lightly. Bake for 1 hour or until browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 981mg Carbohydrates: 77g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 26g Protein: 23g