Homemade Beef and Potato Pie. A wonderful family recipe, with simple ingredients, and so delicious. A filling of ground beef, hash browns covered in a buttery pie crust.
This recipe is certainly an old family recipe which Betty makes for her family each year when the weather gets cooler. Betty says the best way to her hubby's heart is through his tummy, and her Beef and Potato Pie always makes him happy!
It's a very easy recipe, and here, Betty uses hash browns in the pie, as well as some other great ingredients.
It's a very filling dish, however, if you have really hungry mouths to feed, you can also serve with some mashed potatoes and a big jug of gravy too!
So let's get straight to the recipe and see how Betty makes her delicious Beef and Potato Pie. Please enjoy!
Recipe by Betty Bernard.
60 minutes (approx)
6 - 8 Persons
Double pie crust for a 9 - 10″- inch pie dish
** see below to make your own pie crust
The Pie Filling
1 lb of ground beef
½ cup of milk
3 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
dash of pepper
1 pkg (12 ounces) of loose pack hash -browned potatoes thawed.
2 slices of Kraft Sandwich Cheese (or you can use ¼ cup grated cheese)
For the glaze:
½ Tablespoon melted butter
Here are our recipes if you'd like to make your own pie crust. You will need to double the pie crust recipe, and also if you'd like to make your own delicious homemade onion gravy.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F
2. Grease and line your pie dish with the bottom crust.
3. Combine meat, milk, soup mix, and pepper in a bowl, mix gently to combine, lightly pat into the pastry-lined plate.
4. Take one sheet of American cheese, cut it into strips and place on top of the meat, or if using grated cheese, sprinkle half over the meat. Then top with hash browns, then another slice of American cheese, or remaining grated cheese on top of potatoes.
5. Place the top crust on top of potatoes and cheese, seal and flute the edge. Make a few slits with a sharp knife in the pastry top to allow steam to escape when cooking.
4. Brush with melted butter lightly. Bake for 1 hour or until browned.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other ingredients? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Mom’s Homemade Beef and Potato Pie
Mom's Homemade Beef and Potato Pie. A wonderful family recipe, with simple ingredients, and so delicious. A filling of ground beef, hash browns covered in a buttery pie crust.
- Double pie crust for a 9 - 10 inch pie dish
The Pie Filling:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- ½ cup of milk
- 3 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- dash of pepper
- 12 ounces pkg of loose pack hash -browned potatoes thawed
- 2 slices of Kraft Sandwich Cheese, or you can use ¼ cup grated cheese
- For the glaze:
- ½ Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease and line your pie dish with the bottom crust.
- Combine meat, milk, soup mix and pepper in a bowl, mix gently to combine, lightly pat into the pastry lined plate.
- Take one sheet of American cheese, cut it into strips and place on top of the meat, or if using grated cheese, sprinkle half over the meat. Then top with hash browns, then another slice of American cheese, or remaining grated cheese on top of potatoes.
- Place the top crust on top of potatoes and cheese, seal and flute the edge. Make a few slits with a sharp knife in the pastry top to allow steam to escape when cooking.
- Brush with melted butter lightly. Bake for 1 hour or until browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 23g
Delicious Savory Pie Recipes
Here's a selection of delicious savory pie recipes for you to enjoy!
Mom's Chicken Pot Pie An old family recipe and certainly comforting!
Spinach and Feta Galette, a delicious open pastry savory pie filled with Greek feta cheese creamy spinach and tomatoes, then baked until set. Great served warm or chilled.
Homemade Mini Meat Pies have a delicious flaky pie crust, are simple and quick to make and great for lunch boxes, parties, picnics and snacks. freezer friendly too!
How to make a Bechamel Sauce.
Learn how to make an easy béchamel sauce. This basic white sauce recipe is rich, creamy and savory often used for a variety of dishes such as lasagna and moussaka
DELICIOUS Turkey Pot Pie, Look at that pie crust!
I would also make this using chicken and ham together (great combo!) Oh my
Easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies. Delicious little pies with crisp pastry. Freezer friendly and great for parties too!
Mini Pot Pies with lots of filling suggestions, such as chicken, beefburger, bacon and crab. There's also a homemade Bisquick Mix recipe! ...come and choose which pies you would like to make!
Left Over Roast Chicken Pot Pie, a great way to use up left over roast chicken and vegetables! Great for leftover turkey and ham too!
Mini Chicken Stroganoff Pot Pies with a to die for flaky buttery pie crust. Serve piping hot from the oven! So good!
Can you make this pie and freeze it once cooked? It looks amazing!!! Can’t wait to make it!!!
Hi Laura, yes you can!
I really enjoyed this recipe. I followed it exactly and it came out really good, although not as pretty as the picture.
I’m going to make this again, but next time I will probably put more onion soup mix and put cheese in the hamburger mixture
If the meat isn’t cooked isn’t it really greasy?
Hi Beverly, it shouldn’t be greasy, but if you are worried about that, perhaps go for a leaner ground meat. Hope that helps!
Hi, for the hash browns, does it matter if it’s the square ones or shredded..?
Hi Sam, you can use either 😀
April J Harrissays:
This is definitely comfort food! Your Beef and Potato Pie looks amazing and sounds so good! Pinning, yumming, stumbling :-)
Thank you April. I appreciate all your sharing!
Did u cook the burger first?
Hi Liz, No, it is not necessary to cook the meat first because it is baked for 1 hour in the oven. Hope this helps!
It does, thank you!
You’re welcome Liz. Happy Cooking!