These Almond Pastries have a delicious smooth almond paste filling and wrapped in crispy, light flaky pastry. A very quick and easy recipe. They're a delight to make and eat, taking no time at all to make. They do go fast, so you may need to make more and hide some away for yourself!
These almond paste pastries are most delicious served warm from the oven, whilst they're still crispy and flaky from the layers of pastry.
I have eaten them cold too, and they're just as nice, but there is something about eating pastry when it's still hot from the oven!
For this recipe, I've used shop bought frozen puff pastry sheets to save time and ease. However, you can also make your own pastry if you have the time. We recommend using our easy flaky pastry recipe.
These mini pastries are so popular, especially around the holiday season. When it comes to Christmas, I always make a few batches of these.
You can decorate them with just a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar, or drizzle them with some melted chocolate. Perhaps throw some Christmas colored sprinkles on them to make them very festive looking.
You can of course make these almond pastries any shape you like. For this recipe, we've shown some simple instructions on how to pleat the pastries so you get a pretty shape. It's easy enough to do, just follow the photos.
They are wonderful served with a cup of tea or afternoon treat, and often these are offered along with a variety of other sweet pastries and dainty sandwiches for Afternoon Tea!
Recipe by Adelenne Lee
6 mini pastries
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
4 Tablespoons ground almonds
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 tsp butter, softened
½ tsp almond extract
1 egg, beaten
½ cup flaked almonds
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tsp milk
2 Tablespoons melted choc chips
1. Put ground almond, sugar, almond extract, and butter in a bowl. Blend until it becomes a smooth paste.
2. Divide into 2 and shape into 2 fat cigars. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight or at least an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F.
Cut the pastry sheet into 2 rectangles. Then use scissors and cut diagonal strips, cutting only enough so there is about 1 ½ inches in the middle part uncut.
4. Put the chilled filling in the middle of the pastry and using some of the beaten egg, brush the cut strips to help the pastry stick when you come to fold it over.
and start taking the strips one from each side folding it over the filling, crisscrossing.
5. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Sprinkle almond flakes over the tops and pat down the flakes so they stick to the egg wash.
Bake at 200 C / 400 F for 5 mins and lower the temperature to 180 C / 350 F and continue to bake for another 20 mins until golden brown.
6. Cool before dusting with powdered sugar or drizzle with glaze and melted chocolate.
7. With each pastry, slice into 3 pieces. It is nice to slice in a diagonal cut. Then arrange on a serving plate.
How to make the Sugar and Chocolate glazes
For the sugar glaze:
In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth, then crush over the pastries.
For the chocolate drizzle glaze:
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave at 12-second intervals until completely melted then take a teaspoon and drizzle the chocolate from a height over the tops of the pastries.
For just powdered sugar topping, you can just sieve a little powdered sugar over the tops of the pastries.
If you enjoy pastry, try our tutorials on how to make pie dough for flaky pastry, or our shortcrust pastry recipe, both so easy and quick to make.
We'd love to hear from you and what you thought of our almond pastries recipe. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Almond Pastries. A very quick and easy recipe. Delicious almond filling wrapped in a buttery flaky pastry.
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 4 Tablespoons ground almonds
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 tsp butter, softened
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- The Glaze
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- 2 Tablespoons melted choc chips
- Put ground almond, sugar, almond extract and butter in a bowl. Blend until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Divide into 2 and shape into 2 fat cigars. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight or at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F. Cut the pastry sheet into 2 rectangles. Then use scissors and cut diagonal strips, cutting only enough so there is about 1 ½ inches in the middle part uncut.
- Put the chilled filling in the middle of the pastry and using some of the beaten egg, brush the cut strips to help the pastry stick when you come to fold it over.
- Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle almond flakes over the tops and pat down the flakes so they stick to the egg wash. Bake at 200 C / 400 F for 5 mins and lower the temperature to 180 C / 350 F and continue to bake for another 20 mins until golden brown. Cool before dusting with powdered sugar or drizzle with glaze and melted chocolate.
- With each pastry, slice into 3 pieces. It is nice to slice in a diagonal cut. !Then arrange on a serving plate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Silicone Macaron Baking Mat - Set of 3 Half Sheet (Thick & Large 11 ⅝" x 16 ½") - Non Stick Silicon Liner for Bake Pans & Rolling - Macaroon/Pastry/Cookie Making - Professional Grade Nonstick
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Large
Large Silicone Pastry Mat Non Stick Rolling Dough with Measurements-Non Slip,Reusable Large Silicone Baking Mat for Housewife(16" x 24")
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 224Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g
Delicious Recipes using Ground Almonds
If you like almonds as much as we do, try out these other almond recipes. Delicious!
Mini Frangipane tarts are delicious almond cake filled mini tarts in a crispy puff pastry case. Delicious served warm from the oven or cooled with a blob of ice cream or fresh whipped cream!
Blueberry and Almond Crumble
Blueberry and Almond Crumble, juicy sweet blueberries baked with a buttery almond crumble topping. An easy dessert recipe, cheap to make and so tasty!
Mini Almond Pastries.
These Mini Almond Pastries have a deliciously smooth, sweet, almond paste filling and are wrapped in crispy, light puff pastry. Quick and easy to make, and perfect for a tea time treat.
German Star Cookies, also known as Zimtsterne Cinnamon Cookies are a wonderful cookie for Christmas. They're crisp, chewy and spiced with all things nice! Naturally Gluten - Free too!
Fluffy Amaretti Style Lemon Almond Cookies. These amaretti-style cookies are as light as a feather and fat-free too!
Amaretti Style Cranberry and Orange Almond Cookies. These amaretti-style cookies use minimal flour and have a light airy finish, fit to accompany desserts and drinks light as a feather and fat-free too!
Easy Plum Frangipane
A Delicious Almond Cake Bursting With Juicy Plums In A Sweet Pastry Case. Great Served Warm Or Chilled For Dessert Or Afternoon Tea
French Almond Palmier cookies or Elephant Ears are a delicious little cookie filled with almonds and perfect for the holidays! Quick and easy to make too!
Double Chocolate and Orange Biscotti are lovely little Italian cookies perfect for having with a cup of coffee. Easy to make, and make perfect gifts too!
Pear Almond Crumble. It's got a nice refreshing taste, easy to make and great with ice cream or custard. Very delicious!
Chinese Almond Cookies are simple little cookies, traditionally made for Chinese New Year. These cookies are soft, fluffy, and crumbly. The shape symbolizes coins and will give you good fortune in the coming new year! Easy recipe and are so addictive, be sure to make plenty!
Almond, Raisin Cream Cheese Sticky Buns. These delicious rolls are so yummy, with ground almonds, raisins and cream cheese keeping them soft, sticky and sweet!