tI have used my own home made flaky pastry recipe. Don' be frightened at the thought of making your own pastry! It's a really simple recipe which you can find here. This amount of pastry will make you about 14 curry puffs.
inIf you have too much pastryit will freeze nicely if wrapped plastic wrap and a zip lock bag.
ozIf you do decide to buy the pastryI would suggest flaky or puff pastry, about a 225g / 8 pack.
6ozor 1 cup or 150 g Ground Beef
Handful of sweetcorn
1/4Red & Green Chili peppermild ones
2teaspoonsMild Curry Powder
Handful of coriander / cilantro
1small white onion
1eggfor egg wash
1. First, if you are making your own pastry, do that and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare all the ingredients. Finely chop everything.
3. Add the vegetable oil to a pan, and cook the onions, garlic & ginger until soft and the onions are clear in colour. Do not brown them as you will end up with a bitter taste.
4. Add the curry powder and mix in well.
5. Add the ground beef and stir until cooked. Add the salt.
6. Add the sweetcorn and combine.
7. Take off heat and allow to cool. Say 20-30 minutes. if you try and add the filling on the pastry when it is hot, the pastry will melt!
When the filling has cooled, add the chopped coriander / cilantro.
8. Get your flaky pastry out of the fridge, roll the pastry out until 3-4 mm in thickness. You want to be able to cut roughly 12-14 pieces of 3 inch squares from your pastry.
Preheat your oven to 220C, Gas 7, 425F
9. Once rolled, use a sharp knife and cut squares, measuring 3 inches by 3 inches and place on a baking tray.
10. Use a spoon and place some filling in the middle of each square, be careful not to let any filling go on the edges.
11. Brush the edges with some beaten egg.
12. Fold the pastry over and use the back of a fork to push along the edges to seal. Please note you can make whatever shapes you want!
13. Use a sharp knife or scissors to make a little cross on the tops of all the puffs (to let the steam out and keep the pastry crispy)
14. Brush all over with beaten egg
15. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. or until golden brown.
When done, place on a cooling rack and eat when warm. They are nicer just warm than Piping hot!