Spanish Omelette Casserole. A very easy and flexible baked casserole with eggs, cheese, potatoes and sausage. Serve warm or chilled as a main meal or in slices for a buffet. Makes great party food too!
Feel free to swap the sausage for something like Italian spiced sausage, or add a different flavour cheese, different herbs and so on. This dish is really very flexible and will be tasty whatever you add to it!
I’ve made this same recipe adding leftovers from a Christmas dinner instead of the chorizo. So I added turkey, in shreds, some sliced up sprouts and broccoli and roast potatoes, sliced up! Then added the egg and cheese. That I have to say was so good! So be as creative as you like and experiment with your family’s favorite foods!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
1 large onion, chopped
3 oz or 85 g Chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
1/2 lb or 225 g potatoes, peeled and cubed. King Edward potatoes are the nicest, but any you have to hand will work.
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 eggs, lightly beaten
4 oz or 110 g grated Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons fresh flat leaved parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste *
Please go easy on the salt if your sausage is very salty. Taste the sausage first!
1. Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
2. In a fry pan, add the oil and onion, and sautee until soft. Then add the potatoes and sautee until cooked. Keep on a medium to low heat to avoid any burning. Just before the potatoes are nearly done, add the chorizo slices and stir everything so all combined. Then add the parsley and season with salt and pepper if you wish.
3. Transfer everything to an oven proof dish, I use an 6 x 8 Casserole dish. Any size will be fine so long as it is deep enough!
4. Carefully pour the beaten eggs in to the casserole dish then scatter the cheese over the surface. Place on a tray (to catch any bubble over) and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes. The omelette should be puffy when done, golden brown around the edges and not be runny in the centre. Poke a knife to check the egg mixture has set.
5. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serve with some nice fresh salad leaves, or cut in to squares and serve warm or chilled for a buffet, party food etc.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!