Slow Cooker Beef and Pork Stew.
It’s an easy recipe, and all made from scratch using common ingredients. This stew has wonderful flavours, and will make it’s own gravy whilst cooking in the slow cooker. Delicious served with rice, or some fluffy buttermilk biscuits and a side salad. Yummy!
Recipe by Carina Duclos
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours on HIGH
Yield: 4 – 6 persons
1 pound Pork Tenderloin (Bite sized cubes)
1 pound Stewing Beef (Bite sized cubes)
2 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
3 Large Carrots Peeled, and cut to large chunks
1 large sweet potato Peeled, and cut to large chunks
6 medium red potatoes cut in half (skin on)
3 medium onions cut in rings ( not chopped – I like to See them in my stew)
1 teaspoon Dried or fresh herbs. I used oregano and basil.
1 2/3 cups (just under 1 pint) Beef Broth
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
1 Can of beer (optional)
1. Prepare the meat by cutting into bite sized pieces. Prepare the carrots and sweet potato, peeling and cutting in to chunks. Peel and slice onions into rings. Cut the potatoes in half (leave skin on).
2. Place the carrots, sweet potato and potatoes into the bottom of the slow cooker. Set aside.
3. In a bag or mixing bowl, add the cubed meat and the 2 Tablespoons of flour, with a little salt and pepper. Make sure the meat is coated on all sides.
4. In a big skillet put some vegetable oil and when the oil is hot place some meat cubes, just enough to cover the skillet. You may need to do this in batches. Sear the cubes all around, turning them on their sides as they brown. Once each batch is done, place them in the slow cooker on top of the veggies you already have there.
5. Using the same skillet you used to brown the meat, add a bit of additional oil and add the rings of onions and cook them for a few minutes. Add a few tbsp of beef broth so you can pick up all the flavours that searing the meat left on the pan.
6. Once the onions are tender put everything in the slow cooker including all the juices you may have in the pan.
7. In the same pan add the beef broth and heat it up until it starts to boil. In the meantime, in a separate bowl place half a cup of corn starch. Add the boiling broth to the corn starch and mix until it dissolves. When this is done pour into the slow cooker pot.
8. Add some salt, pepper and the herbs if you chose to add herbs and can of beer.
9. Stir, then turn the slow cooker on and cook at high for about 4 or 5 hours.
Do not feel tempted to add more water or broth. It may look that it is not enough but it will work out just perfect.
Served the stew with a side of white rice, homemade fluffy biscuits and a salad. The salad I made was: iceberg lettuce with cranberries, peanuts , almonds and feta cheese with a pear/blue cheese creamy salad dressing. Very delicious!