Lemon Raisin Molasses Cookies – A delicious flavor combo and very easy to make.
After making Nanny Pat’s Delicious Cookies, I was blown away by the texture and flavours and decided I would make some variations, using Nanny’s cookie recipe as my foundation, to which I could add all kinds of different flavours.
These Lemon Raisin cookies are amazing! You get a zesty flavour and then the juicy raisins in every bite. The outer is crunchy and the inner is chewy, so you get the best of both worlds!
Recipe adapted from Pat Milton
Prep Time: 5 – 10 minutes plus 15 minutes rest
Cook Time: Approx 10 minutes
Yield: makes 5-6 dozen
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Crisco OIL (or Wesson)
1/2 Cup Molasses
4 Cups All Purpose Flour PLUS approx 1 cup extra flour
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. Baking Soda
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 Cups Raisins
Juice of Half a lemon
1 Tablespoon Limoncello (optional)
1. Soak the raisins in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain very well. Once drained, add the lemon zest and juice to the raisins and Limnoncello if using. Combine well and leave to soak whilst you start on the cookies. (soaking the raisins overnight in the lemon mix is even better!)
2. Mix well in a large bowl the eggs and sugar.
3. Then Add Crisco OIL (or Wesson) and Molasses
(I put the molasses in the measuring unit that I put the oil in, and makes it slip right out)
4. Add the raisins and liquid to the egg & sugar mixture. Combine.
5. I use my stand mixer and then, Mix these ingredients below together, and add them slowly to the bowl, while mixer is running very slow :- flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon and baking Soda.
At this point, you may need to add the extra flour until the cookie dough becomes stiff enough to roll into balls. Use your judgement here. Every brand of flour is different and also how much liquid your raisins have absorbed. 6. Important: let stand for 15-20 min.
7. Form into balls (about 1 inch rounds). Put granulated sugar in a wide short bowl, Roll in the sugar, placing them on cookie sheets (UNgreased). I only put 9 to a sheet.
8. Bake on UNgreased cookie sheet for 10 min., @ 350 degrees. Let set only 1 min. & then Carefully (very carefully) with a large thin spatula. remove to a rack to cool.
9. Make a lovely cup of tea and enjoy a cookie or two!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!