This delicious recipe has been generously shared by one of our Lovefoodie supporters, Melanie Springer, and the photos are kindly shared by another of our Lovefoodies ‘gang’, Peggy Mitchell.
Melanie’s a wonderful cook and she sure knows how to put smiles on her family’s faces when she rustles up her homemade chicken croquettes!
So let’s see how Melanie makes her delicious recipe.
Recipe by Melanie Springer.
Photos by Peggy Mitchell
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 1/2 hr chill time
Cook Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Yield: serves 4
3TBS shortening / butter
1/3 cup / 20 g flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup /235 ml milk
2 cups /380 g chopped cooked chicken
1 TBS minced onion
2 TBS minced parsley
2 TBS lemon juice
1/3 cup / 40 g fine dry bread crumbs
Please note, the darker croquettes you see in the photo use chipotle breadcrumbs
1. In a pan, Melt shortening, blend in flour and salt.
2. Add milk. Cook low, stir constantly till smooth and thickened.
3. Add chicken, onion and parsley. Spread in greased shallow pan.
4. Chill completely. Shape into 8 logs. (Peggy has made balls instead of logs in her photos)
5. In a bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice lightly with fork.
6. Dip logs into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
Heat deep fat to 365 F / 190 C /Gas 5, fry croquettes about 5 minutes or till golden brown. *** You can also bake these in the oven, spray with some oil and bake at the above temperature until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve as an appetizer or entree, with your favorite sauce or my personal favorite, along side a salad with a creamy dressing like ranch or cilantro lime.