Garlic and Bacon Butternut Patties. These patties taste so good! Cook in a fry pan or waffle maker and serve as a snack, side dish or main. You choose!
Butternut squash is a wonderful ingredient! You can do so many things with it, other than the usual soup or roasted squash recipes. It really is versatile, and you can treat it as you would most root vegetables. They are strong, robust vegetables, full of flavour and in this case, colour! I decided I would do something different and turn it into a great tasting butternut hash brown, and of course, in Lovefoodies style, with a difference and a flavour sensation that will make your taste buds go dancing! So let’s see how we can make this easy recipe. And yes….. you can serve these as a side, or main, at parties, making them into little cute bite sized ones, the sky’s the limit! I’ve also given you some other flavour ideas so go for it and make something special!
Half a Butternut Squash
1 cup Chopped bacon
1 red or white onion, finely sliced (NOT chopped)
3 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Eggs, beaten
Handful of fresh chopped Basil & Tarragon
A handful of grated parmesan or your favourite cheese
A variety of chopped fresh herbs
Chopped chorizo, spiced sausage etc
Chopped bell peppers
A dash of tabasco
any of your favourite spices
*** Don’t add any ingredients which are watery such as tomatoes. The hash browns won’t set!
1. First of all, prepare the butternut squash. For those who have never prepared one, don’t be afraid! Cut the top and bottom off and use a sharp peeler or knife and peel the tough skin away. Then cut straight down the middle like in the photo and use a spoon and scoop out the seeds. The one on the left has been scooped. All you need to do then is use a wide hole grater and grate half the butternut. You can save the other half for another use. It’s that simple!
2. Place the grated squash in a large mixing bowl.
3. If using bacon, fry it until cooked, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
4. Thinly slice an onion. See photo below. Add to the squash mix.
5. Use some kitchen paper and press down on the squash and onion to get out as much water as possible.
6. Add to the bowl the remaining ingredients, PLEASE NOTE, if using bacon or cheese which is a little salty, you may not need extra salt. Combine everything very well, making sure the egg is mixed all the way through.
7. Heat a non stick fry pan with a little olive oil. When hot enough, use a tablespoon and place the mix in the pan. Pat down gently with a spatula, and when brown, carefully turn them over and cook the other side. Repeat until it is all used. Place the cooked patties on kitchen paper and then serve or place in the oven to keep warm until ready to eat.
Serve as they are or as a side, a snack, with anything you like! I like to eat these with my favourite BBQ sauce too!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
UPDATE: One of our Lovefoodies friends, Joy Hoover has made these using her waffle machine as seen below, and said they came out lovely and super crispy. Joy said this: “When cooking these in the waffle iron I spray it first with a non stick spray, I let it get hot then added the butternut hash browns but I found I had to cook these twice as long to get the crispness we wanted.
They turned out perfect and we loved them and will definitely be making these again in the near future.”
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!