I’m always looking for ways to make my food tastier and fun, and so I came up with this great combination of flavours, together with a nice marinade which will leave you with really juicy pieces of chicken, whilst at the same time, have a crispy outer and a total ‘wow’ when it comes to flavour!
In my recipe, I fried the chicken first to get the crispy coating and then baked them until they were done. You can of course fry and no bake, but I find it easier just to do a shallow fry then bake.
4 portions of chicken. Here I used 2 chicken legs cut at the joints making up 4 pieces.
The Chicken Coating
1 cups / 125 g All Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoon of Seasoning (see below for ingredients)
Salt & Pepper if you wish
2 Tablespoons Seasoning (see below for ingredients)
1 Teaspoon Tabasco (optional)
Pepper and Salt to season. Go easy on the salt as the seasoning will add as your salt addition too!
1 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Vinegar or lemon juice
The ingredients below makes around 1/2 Cup.
3 Tbsp. sweet paprika
3 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less, depending on preferred spice level)
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 Teaspoons sugar
1. Cut the chicken between the joints (if using legs) to make two pieces wash in cold water then set aside.
2. In a bowl, make up the seasonings and combine well.
3. In a zip bag or bowl, add the milk and vinegar / lemon juice and 2 Tablespoons of the seasoning mix. You can also add some Tabasco if you like it hot. Add the chicken and chill for a couple of hours for the flavors to infuse.
4. In a bowl, add the flour and remaining 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix. If you have any seasoning left over, you can store in an airtight container or add to the milk marinade if you wish.
5. When you are ready to cook the chicken, set the oven to 220C / 475 F / gas 7 and in a fry pan, add some olive oil until it reaches about 1 inch deep. Heat the oil until it is hot.
6. Cover the chicken in the flour mix and dust off excess.
7. Then transfer to the fry pan, skin side down first. Turn over when golden brown and fry the other side. When done, place on the baking tray and put in the oven for around 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
If the oil is hot enough, your chicken should NOT be greasy as the heat from the oil will quickly seal the outside. If the oil is not sizzling when you put the chicken in, the chicken will absorb the oil and then it will be greasy, so drop a dot of flour in the oil and see if it sizzles first!
*** cook times will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken so use your judgement!
Serve with your favourite dips. I used Garlic Mayo and Chinese Sweet Chili Sauce. Both delicious!
*** Please note, you can also use this recipe to make oven baked chicken, or simply use the marinade for the chicken and go on to grill or bake. You choose!