This is a really easy delicious cake and apple recipe. It’s quick to make and doesn’t require much effort at all. Another benefit is it’s easy on the purse, and most of us will have the ingredients in our pantry, so it’s even a recipe you could make when you get the urge for something sweet, provided you have some apples hanging around in your house. I’ve also tried it using pears, and it’s equally as delicious!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
You will need a dish measuring 30cm (11 in) x 15 cm (6 in) and 7 cm (3 in) deep.
Don’t worry if it’s not an exact size, so long as it will hold the apples & cake batter
1 1/2 lbs or 675 g apples, peeled & cored.
1 – 2 Tablespoons sugar to go on the apples
The cake batter
2 sticks or 200 g butter
1 cup or 200 g sugar
1 1/2 cups or 200 g Self raising Flour. *If using All Purpose flour, add 1 teaspoon baking powder
NOTE: You can use canned peaches, pineapples instead of apples!
1. Heat oven to 180C, Gas 4, 350F. Grease your dish.
2. Peel, core and slice your apples. Place apples in the bottom of your oven dish.
3. Make the cake batter – Cream butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs slowly, adding a little flour as you add the eggs. Gently fold in the rest of the flour
5. Cover the apples with the cake mixture
6. Place in the oven for 40 minutes. Test if it’s ready by inserting a metal skewer into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready!
Serve with a dollop of ice cream, pour custard or just eat on it’s own with a cup of tea. Click here to see how to make Home Made Custard.