Christmas Cookies with Sugar Icing. These little cookies are such fun to make! Get ready for the holidays and make up a batch. Great for gifts and there’s a recipe for a super easy sugar icing too so the young ones can help out and have lots of fun!
Recipe By Lovefoodies
Photos By Carina Duclos
Prep Time: 30 minutes (includes decorating)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1/2 Cup or 100 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 Cup or 100 g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 1/4 Cups or 275 g All Purpose / Plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract, or lemon, almond.
The Sugar Icing:
3 1/3 Cups or 400 g Powdered / Icing sugar
3-4 tbsp water
2-3 drops food colourings
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Line a baking tray with parchment / greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, a little at a time, until well combined.
4. Stir in the flour until the mixture comes together as a dough.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 1/2 inch or 1 cm.
6. Using cookie cutters, cut out the dough and carefully place onto the baking tray.
7. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to harden for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
8. For the icing, sift the icing / powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in the food colouring.
Carefully spread the icing onto the biscuits using a knife or place in a piping bag, using a small nozzle and pipeon to the cookies. Set aside until the icing hardens.
**If you want to use different colours, simply divide the sugar mixture in to different bowls and add the colours you wish.
If you want to mix different colours on one cookie, simply pipe a border thinly of the pattern you want, allow to dry and then fill inside the border with a different colour. On some of the cookies below, you can see the borders have been piped out, and then once that is dry, you just fill with another colour. It’s that easy!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!