Chocolate Caramel Pecan Bars. These are so addictive! Easy to make and always popular!
I’ve made this particular recipe using milk chocolate and pecan nuts, however, I’ve also made this using white chocolate and also cashew nuts! So whatever is your favorite, you decide.
I love the texture of these bars. They’re crunchy from the nuts, crisp from the cookie base and then chewy from the caramel. As for the taste.. well, they really are out of this world. If you’re a caramel fan, then you will really enjoy these.
As far as storage goes, I haven’t been able to test longer than 2 days because they never last long enough! Once cooled, I pop them in an air tight container and keep at room temperature, and by the second day, they are still as good as when they were first baked. I should imagine these will keep nicely for a week or so, or alternatively, they will freeze if you put them in a zip lock bag. So if you did want to make ahead for a party or perhaps Christmas time, then these would be great in the freezer.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes a 9 x 13 pan, cut the bars to a size that suits.
1 cup /225 g unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup / 130 g brown sugar
2 2/3 cups / 330 g all-purpose / plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup / 110 g unsalted butter
1 cup / 200 g light brown sugar
1/3 cup / 110 g honey
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 cups / 290 g chopped pecans * Suitable to swap for other nuts
7 oz / 200 g Milk Chocolate * Suitable to swap for other chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / gas 4 and line a 9 × 13-inch pan with kitchen foil, making the sides bigger so you can use the edges to lift it out later.
2. Add the flour, salt, butter and brown sugar in a mixer and pulse until crumbs
3 . Add the crust mixture to the pan and press down, make it firm and then place in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan, add the butter, honey, brown sugar, and heavy cream, and stir over medium heat. Allow the mixture to gently simmer for about 1 minute, then add the chopped pecans and combine.
5. Remove the crust from the oven and whilst it is still hot, pour the pecan filling all over the hot crust spreading evenly so the whole surface is covered.
6. Place the pan in the oven bake for an extra 20 minutes.
7. When done, let the Caramel Pecan bars completely cool then in a bowl, add the chocolate and pop in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until it is all melted. Pour the chocolate over the cooled bars, spread evenly, and leave in the pan until set. You can pop in the fridge for an hour or freezer for 20 minutes to speed up cooling if you can’t wait.
When cold, lift it out of the tray and slice to your desired size.
Notes: If you like more chocolate than you see in the photos, add another 4 oz / 100 g to the recipe. For me, this thickness I used was just perfect, but I know we have some chocoholics out there so feel free to add more if you wish!
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!