The trick with making any Chinese food and it’s guaranteed success is to prepare everything before hand. You need to get all your ingredients together, chopped, diced, toasted, sauces prepared in little bowls, absolutely everything that belongs in a recipe must be at hand when you fire your wok up to inferno temperatures!
The idea is to cook everything very quickly, on a high heat, so that all the juices, natural vitamins and minerals are sealed for maximum flavour and goodness. Not only are flavours and nutrients important in Chinese cooking, but texture also carries a high importance.
In this dish, you have the soft tender texture (yes, tender, not dry and stringy) of the thin slices of chicken breast, against the slightly crunchy zucchini, with a gentle sweetness from the red onion, all married together with that distinctive light Chinese flavour oyster sauce that comes with a stir fry.
You can of course swap any of the meat and vegetables to suit what you have available, as always, our recipes at Lovefoodies are designed to be adapted and changed to fit in with what you like eating!
1. You need a wok!
2. Get all your ingredients prepared and ready for the wok before you start cooking anything.
3. Serve with a bowl of Thai fragrant rice…mmmmm delicious!
4. When you are ready for serving, don’t hang around! the food must be served as soon as it comes out of the wok, for maximum taste and texture.
5. Quantities for vegetables can be as much or little as you wish. You can also change the vegetables to suit you.
8 oz or 200 g (per person) thinly sliced chicken breast or thigh meat. I usually allow 1 medium breast or 2 thighs per person.
1 zucchini / Courgette
Handful of mushrooms cleaned and cut to bite size pieces
1 Red onion
1 inch piece of ginger
2 cloves garlic
Handful of cashew nuts (optional)
1 spring onions / scallions
handful of fresh coriander / cilantro
3 teaspoons cornflour
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon chili seeds (optional)
1. Wash and prepare the mushrooms, they should all be cut to bite sized even pieces.
2. Chop the ginger & garlic, set aside.
3. Put all your prepared vegetables on a separate plate , ***cut them into bite sized pieces.
4. Slice the chicken into bite sized strips (not cubes) and place in the bowl . Add the chopped ginger & garlic to the meat.
5. Make the sauce. – Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl, and stir so that the cornflour has dissolved and add to the meat and combine well.
6. Heat the wok until it is smoking. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to the wok.
7. As soon as the wok is hot, add the mushrooms and stir until cooked. Add the zucchini & onions, stir until nearly cooked, then add the chicken including the sauce it was marinating in. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
8. If the sauce gets too thick, add some water to loosen. Test a piece of chicken to see if it is cooked through. It should only take 4 -5 minutes to cook, so long as your wok is hot and you keep stirring the food in the wok. When ready, turn off the heat and add the spring onions, scallions, and coriander , cilantro.
Serve with some delicious Fragrant Jasmine Rice