Cauliflower Cheese! What a dish!
This is great as a main meal or served as a side, with a nice roast dinner, or ham. I often make this when we have company for dinner as I can make it ahead of time and simply pop in the oven when I need to finish cooking it. Here I show you how to make a wonderful Creamy Cheese Sauce to go all over the cauliflower whilst it’s baking, and I’ve also added a couple of other ingredients to really bring out the flavour of the cheese and cauliflower.
You can of course add bits of bacon or other things to this dish, but for me, I like it as simple as it is, with some nice chicken on a Sunday dinner! In this recipe I will also show you how to make a smooth cheese sauce, as I know sometimes people don’t like to make them in case they are lumpy. Don’t worry! I will show you how to make it smooth!
The cheese sauce
1/4 cup or 50 g butter
1/2 Cup or 50 g All Purpose Flour
1 pint or 550 ml milk
2 Teaspoons yellow or grained mustard. *** You do not taste the mustard, but it brings out the flavour of the cheese.
5 oz or 150 g grated cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon of your favourite dried or fresh herbs. I used Tarragon. Parsley is also very nice.
A pinch of salt. I did not add much as my cheese was a little salty.
1. First, cut the cauliflower into quarters as in the photo and boil until it is 3/4 cooked. About 20 minutes or so.
2. Have all your ingredients measured and ready.
3. Drain the cauliflower and place on some kitchen paper. You do not want excess liquid in your oven dish. Then arrange the cauliflower like in the photo. Place with the flower side facing up. Use an oven dish which will be deep enough to hold the 1 pint of cheese sauce.
4. Now we make the sauce. Please see our recipe here for making a BASIC CHEESE SAUCE
5. Transfer the sauce to the cauliflower, and pour all over so the cauliflower is coated with the sauce. Sprinkle some extra cheese on the top if you wish to.
6. Place in the oven at 200 C / 400 F for about 20 – 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden. When done, remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. It will be VERY hot so take care!
Serve the whole dish at the table or portion onto plates and enjoy!