Black Peppercorn Sauce, Sauce au Poivre is a lovely accompaniment to steak, easy and quick to make too!
Black Peppercorn Sauce or Sauce au Poivre you’d like to use the fancy name is absolutely wonderful. It’s rich and creamy with a luxurious taste.
This sauce only takes a matter of minutes to make. Depending on how much of a sauce fan you are, you may want to double up the recipe. I know some people like to have the sauce smothered over their steaks and others like just a little sauce. You decide what suits you most.
It’s a classic combination to have Black Peppercorn Sauce with steak, but you know, this sauce also goes very nicely with pork and chicken too.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
3 Tablespoons Black Peppercorns
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 shallot, minced
1/2 Cup or 110 ml Brandy
1/2 Cup or 110 ml Beef Stock
1/4 Cup or 60 ml Heavy / Double Cream
Salt, to taste
2 x 8 – 10 oz steaks pan fried
1. Using a rolling pin or pestle and mortar, crush the peppercorns to break them slightly. (You don’t want whole peppercorns in the sauce)
2. In a saucepan over medium heat add the butter and melt. Then add the shallot and saute until soft. Add the brandy and bring to the boil. Then add the beef stock and bring back up to boiling.
3. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and add the cream and stir. Allow to gently heat through completely without boiling. (boiling may cause the sauce to split).
4. Continue to heat the sauce gently until it is the thickness you wish. Between 5 – 10 minutes. Taste the sauce and add salt if desired.
5. When ready, serve in a sauce jug or pour directly over your cooked steaks.
We’d love to hear from you and what you thought of our post. Did you make any changes or add some other goodies? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Come and check out our other goodies on Pinterest!
If you’d like a lovely recipe for Pan fried steak, take a look here.